Coronavirus is a virus that causes an infection in the nose, sinuses or upper throat. It is contagious and most severely affects children and older adults.
In early January 2020, a new strain – noval coronavirus (COVID-2019) was identified by the World Health Organization and Canada’s first “presumptive” case has been identified in Toronto.
Symptoms of this new strain of noval coronavirus may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. They are:
- Shortness of breath
In an effort to support clients, staff and volunteers, Lumacare has implemented the following key precautionary measures:
- In addition to a letter, a call relaying Lumacare’s precautionary measures will be made to your home.
- A Lumacare staff member prior to providing service to a client will ask two questions:
- Have you experienced a dry cough, fever or shortness of breath in the last 48 hours?
- Have you travelled or had close contact with someone who has travelled outside of Ontario in the last 21 days?
- Evaluated on a case by case basis and considering answers from the screening questions, Lumacare may decline providing service to you (the client) until you are feeling better. Lumacare will call you in 48 hours to check on how you are feeling.
- Lumacare will also require screening upon entrance to all of its sites by all staff, clients, students, volunteers and visitors.
Should you experience symptoms, we strongly advise that you visit your family doctor or call TeleHealth at 1-866-797-0000. The province of Ontario has created a dedicated website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov
Some tips on how to protect yourself and reduce your risk of coronavirus infection:
- Clean hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs
- Avoid unprotected contact with live wild or farm animals (World Health Organization)
Lumacare will provide updates on these precautionary measures as needed.
Thank you for your cooperation.