COVID-19 Operational Response
It was 5 months ago now on March 16th that we first wrote you a letter announcing program and service changes due to the Ministry of Health’s declaration of a state of emergency in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Since then, Lumacare has continued to provide essential services to our clients as well as added provisions of food security, comfort packages and virtual programming to alleviate the restrictions and feelings associated with self-isolation.
Lumacare has been diligent with adhering to ongoing workplace safety measures as recommended by Toronto Public Health and our Ministry to ensure safety for our staff, clients and caregivers.
On August 20, 2020, the province extended orders under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act until September 22, 2020. What does that mean for Lumacare? In compliance with these orders, we are extremely pleased to inform you that Lumacare will reopen our Overnight Respite Program, our Adult Day Programs, and resume in person exercise classes! Lumacare has been busy over the month of August preparing our multiple program location to ensure we meet all conditions set out by the Occupational Health and Safety Act & Regulations (2020).
Lumacare, as a health agency, has already been operating to respond to the community needs by maintaining physical distancing, limiting large group gatherings, working from home where possible, respiratory disease screening of staff and clients, the use of personal protective equipment, while also providing alternative virtual programs, in-home services, hospital discharge supports, lending library for sensory equipment and transportation services for all types of rides.
Lumacare will now also reopen 5 Adult Day Programs, the Overnight Sunset Respite program, and our Healthier Living Centre Programs!
With careful consideration we have modified our environment to maximize the safety of our clients and staff. Masks are mandatory for all staff and clients (if it can be tolerated) and screening protocols include hand washing and recording of thermal temperature. Personal Protective Equipment is stocked and staff retrained on its proper use. Cleaning and disinfection procedures have been revised and enhanced based on Public Health Ontario Factsheet for the pandemic. Security protocols, signage and modifications to support physical distancing have been made which includes installation of plexiglass shields in strategic spots which will enable us to serve our clients in cohorts with a maximum number of clients in a designated space.
We are fortunate to have our Campus of Care, which provides us the space to safely resume our Healthier Living Centre programs in person, ensuring physical distancing is enforced. We are also awaiting confirmation of the reopening of our community spaces so that our Healthier Living Centre programs can expand to its previous community locations.
Our vehicles have been modified to include seat and floor covers and we are in the process of equipping all transportation vehicles with a lexan barrier. Returning clients have been contacted by our staff during the month of August to prepare you to get ready for your return, to inform you of the changes in program protocols and to address any concerns you may have about resuming services. If you still have questions, please do reach out to us for clarity.
For the month of September 2020 Lumacare will continue to provide support to our community members. We will continue to offer extended and additional services to seniors living in the North York and North Etobicoke areas.
Please see the list below to understand how we are responding to the needs of our community during the COVID-19 Pandemic:
Lumacare has set up a Community Response Centre that supports the distribution of essential food, supplies and resources to seniors in need (Open 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. daily). You can get in touch through email at email@example.com or call us 24-hours at 416-398-5511 for access to Information and Referral support.
*Please note the service provision applies September 1 until September 30, 2020*
To ensure our most vulnerable older adult community members have access to food, Lumacare is offering:
- Meal On Wheels (MOW): nutritious frozen meal entrées, to vulnerable seniors and extending the delivery hours each day and on the weekend.
- Grocery Baskets: contain essential food items offered at a subsidized rate where Lumacare is absorbing the majority of the cost to ensure that every senior has the essential food they need.
- Comfort Packages: include essential items like toilet paper, incontinence garments, fabric masks, soap, hygiene products and other items free of charge.
- Shopping Support: to provide shopping for items not available in our Grocery Baskets for special diets, cultural items or household/hygiene products.
- Food Rescue: Lumacare is a Registered Charity with Food Rescue to rescue food in the community and redistribute it to the seniors in need.
- Partnership with Local Food Banks: Lumacare has also partnered with multiple food banks to receive food donations and assist with free hamper delivery.Transportation
- Rides: continue to be deployed for medical appointments in addition to rides for any other purpose.
- Home-At-Last: service is in operation with extended hours (8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. daily) with pick-ups being completed within one hour of discharge from local hospitals. Follow-up telephone assessments are completed within 24-48 hours.
- Healthier Living Centre: starting August 31st we will be running HLC classes daily from 8:30- 9:30 am at our Campus of Care! Virtual HLC will continue to be offered virtually free of charge! With two virtual classes offered per day, 5 days a week, older adults are welcome to join and participate in these classes with our exercise facilitator live! Offering exercise, social conversation, bingo and other activities to address feelings of loneliness due to the mandatory order of social isolation. In addition, exercise videos for those who wish to participate at their own pace are uploaded to our website and YouTube channel weekly.
- Virtual Social Gatherings: For our registered Adult Day Program clients, we are also coordinating virtual social gatherings so that the clients can “meet” their friends from the programs free of charge.
- Dedicated Facebook Group: Lumacare COVID-19 has been created to share important resources and provide another layer of support for older adults in the community. Join now!
- Live Chat Function: on our website running 9 AM- 5 PM every day of the week and allows you to chat with a staff member regarding any inquiries directly! You can also leave a message after hours and a Social Worker will get back to you.
- Wellness /Counselling: Our staff members stay connected with our clients to check on their general wellbeing, link to supports and counsel them through these challenging times free of charge.
In the Community
- Assisted Living Services: provide in-home services to registered high risk individuals.
- Respite Care: provide in-home temporary relief to promote wellness.
- Personal Care: provides in-home assistance with personal hygiene tasks.
- Homemaking: provide in-home supports such as light housekeeping, laundry, food preparation to maintain comfort and safety in the home.
- Pharmacy (Medication) or Essentials Delivery: assisting clients by picking up and delivering their pre-paid prescriptions, or essential products free of charge.
- Lending Library: Lending of sensory stimulation kits to our registered clients free of charge so that clients can use within the comforts of their homes.
- Laundry Services: offered to high risk population to either wash the clothes in their homes or (in case of communal laundry rooms) pick up, wash, fold and deliver back.
Adult Day Programs Opening
Lumacare is thrilled to announce the reopening of our congregate program sites to our clients. The programs and services listed below will be gradually reopening in September with Healthier Living Center starting August 31st! Adult Day Programs will reopen starting September 8th . Clients will be cohorted into specific program space with a limited number of consistent participants.
Campus of Care (155 Deerhide Crescent)
September 8, 2020
- G.L.O.W. Adult Day Program
- B.O.O.S.T. Adult Day Program
- HOPEWELL Adult Day Program
August 31, 2020
- Healthier Living Centre (HLC)
- Congregate Dining
Wilson Site (495 Wilson Avenue)
September 8, 2020
- R.I.S.E. Adult Day Program
Valleyview Site (541 Finch Avenue West)
September 8, 2020
- Valleyview Adult Day Program
September 25, 2020
- SUNSET Overnight Respite Care
Operational Changes in Response to COVID-19
Lumacare is proud of the work we have been able to accomplish in response to our community needs over the past several months. Please note that some services do a fee associated, if for any reason the fee change creates a barrier to your safe and affordable access to care, please reach out to your Care Navigator or call us at 416-398-5511 to discuss your care needs. We at Lumacare know that these are difficult times for you. The uncertainty about when this will all be over can create feelings of stress and anxiety.
While we are in touch with all of you regularly, we encourage you to reach out to us at anytime if you need assistance. We will continue to communicate with you as we progress along the provincial reopening. Please Stay Well!
Chief Executive Officer
Meals-On-Wheels: (regular lunch meals & extended hours for dinner) entrée: $5.30, meal (entrée + sides): $7.35
Grocery basket: $10
Comfort package: $0
Shopping support: cost of items
Transportation: price based on kilometers travelled. ADP rides are $4.00- $5.00 flat rate based on distance.
Adult Day Programs
G.L.O.W. Adult Day Program: $40.95/day
B.O.O.S.T. Adult Day Program: $22.80/day
Hopewell Adult Day Program: $10.60/day
R.I.S.E. Adult Day Program: $24.45/day
Valleyview Adult Day Program: $22.20 per day (Frail support)
Sunset Overnight Respite Program: $27.60 (cognitive support), $42.50 overnight or $70.00 for overnight and ADP
Healthier Living Centre; $40.00 annual membership
Home At Last (HAL): $0
Virtual Healthier Living Center, Social gatherings, Facebook group: $0
Wellness counselling: $0
Assisted Living Services (ALS): n./a
Respite Care (in home/ person): $19.75/hr
Personal Care: $19.75/hr
Laundry service: $19.75/service
Pharmacy (medication/ essentials) delivery: $0