COVID-19 Operational Response
Please note the service provision applies between July 1 – 30, 2020
It was 3 months ago now on March 16th that we first wrote you a letter announcing program and service changes due the Ministry of Health’s declaration of a state of emergency in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Since then, Lumacare has continued to provide essential services to our clients as well as added provisions of food security, comfort packages and virtual programming to alleviate the restrictions and feelings associated with self-isolation.
Lumacare has been diligent with adhering to ongoing workplace safety measures as recommended by Toronto Public Health and our Ministry to ensure safety for our staff, clients and caregivers.
As you may have heard in the news, June 24th marked the first day of Phase 2 in the City of Toronto for the re-opening of more business activity. What does that mean for Lumacare? Lumacare, as a health agency, has already been operating to respond to the community needs by maintaining physical distancing, limiting large group gatherings, working from home where possible, respiratory disease screening of staff and clients, use of personal protective equipment and providing alternative virtual programs. Lumacare is now ready to provide more in-home services and medical transportation to you!
For the month of July 2020 Lumacare will continue to provide support to our community members. We will continue to offer extended and additional services to seniors living in the North York and North Etobicoke areas. Please see the list below to understand how we are responding to the needs of our community during the COVID-19 Pandemic:
Lumacare has set up a Community Response Centre that supports the distribution of essential food, supplies and resources to seniors in need (Open 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. daily). You can get in touch through email at email@example.com or call us 24-hours at 416-398-5511 for access to Information and Referral support.
To ensure our most vulnerable older adult community members have access to food, Lumacare is offering:
- Meal On Wheels (MOW): nutritious frozen meal entrées, to vulnerable seniors and extending the delivery hours each day and into the weekend.
- Ready-to-Warm Meals: nutritious entrées distributed weekly free of charge.
- Grocery Baskets: contain essential food items offered at a subsidized rate where Lumacare is absorbing the majority of the cost to ensure that every senior has the essential food they need.
- Comfort Packages: include essential items like toilet paper, incontinence garments, fabric masks, soap, hygiene products and other items free of charge.
- Shopping Support: to provide shopping for items not available in our Grocery Baskets for special diets, cultural items or household/hygiene products.
- Food Rescue: Lumacare is a Registered Charity with Food Rescue to rescue food in the community and redistribute it to the seniors in need.
- Rides: are being deployed for medical appointments such as cancer care and clients in need of dialysis.
- Home-At-Last: service is in operation with extended hours (8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. daily) with pick-ups being completed within one hour of discharge from local hospitals. Follow-up telephone assessments are completed within 24-48 hours.
- Healthier Living Centre: is now running completely virtually free of charge! With two classes offered per day, 5 days a week, older adults are welcome to join and participate in these classes with our exercise facilitator live! Offering exercise, social conversation, bingo and other activities to address feelings of loneliness due to the mandatory order of social isolation. In addition, exercise videos for those who wish to participate at their own pace are uploaded to our website and YouTube channel weekly.
- Dedicated Facebook Group: Lumacare COVID-19 has been created to share important resources and provide another layer of support for older adults in the community. Join now!
- Virtual Social Gatherings: For our registered Adult Day Program clients, we are also coordinating virtual social gatherings so that the clients can “meet” their friends from the programs free of charge.
- Live Chat Function: on our https://lumacare.ca/ website running 9 AM- 5 PM every day of the week and allows you to chat with a staff member regarding any inquiries directly! You can also leave a message after hours and a Social Worker will get back to you. • Wellness /Counseling: Our staff members stay connected with our clients to check on their general wellbeing, link to supports and counsel them through these challenging times free of charge.
In the Community
- Assisted Living Services: provide in-home services to registered high risk individuals.
- Respite Care: provide in-home temporary relief to promote wellness.
- Personal Care: provides in-home assistance with personal hygiene tasks.
- Homemaking: provide in-home supports such as light housekeeping, laundry, food preparation to maintain comfort and safety in the home.
- Adult Day Program In-Home Care: provides in-home activity based engagement.
- Pharmacy (Medication) or Essentials Delivery: assisting clients by picking up and delivering their pre-paid prescriptions, or essential products free of charge.
- Lending Library: Lending of sensory stimulation kits to our registered clients free of charge so that clients can use within the comforts of their homes.
Lumacare has closed all congregate program sites with the exclusion of the Campus of Care (155 Deerhide Cres, North York) during this unprecedented time. Below is a list of our reduced programs and services:
- Adult Day Programs (Physically Closed *See Virtual Care or In-Home options)
- GLOW – BOOST – HOPEWELL – RISE – VALLEYVIEW
- Healthier Living Centre, Congregate Dining (Physically Closed * See Virtual Care or In-Home options)
- Sunset Overnight Respite Care (Closed)
Operational Changes in Response to COVID-19
Lumacare is proud of the work we have been able to accomplish in response to our community needs over the past 3 months. Please note that in July Lumacare has had to make the difficult decision to resume pre-COVID pricing. This means that as of July 1, Lumacare pricing per service will return to previous set prices, all of which are indicated below. If for any reason the fee change creates a barrier to safe and affordable access to care, please reach out to your Care Navigator or call us at 416-398-5511 to discuss your care needs.
Please be rest assured that during this critical time of need, Lumacare is actively responding to support our vulnerable senior population. Lumacare is actively screening all staff members, and visitors through temperature checking and screening questionnaire as they enter the Campus location. This same screening questionnaire is being used when servicing people in their homes and in the community and is available in multiple languages.
A response team has been formed and continues to meet regularly to review and plan based on any new information that is being shared regarding COVID-19 through the World Health Organization (WHO), Public Health, the Ministry of Health (MOH), and Home and Community Care (HCC). Lumacare has increased cleaning protocol at the Campus including increased disinfection of all spaces, increased our supply of personal protective equipment, and is staying in close communication with all staff. Lumacare has also enhanced one of its vehicles to create a physical barrier between staff and client for the protection of both parties from exposure while being transported.
We at Lumacare know that these are difficult times for you. The uncertainty about when this will all be over can create feelings of stress and anxiety. While we are in touch with all of you regularly, we encourage you to reach out to us at anytime if you need assistance.
We will continue to communicate with you as we progress along the provincial re- opening. Please Stay Well!
Grocery Basket $10
Comfort Package $0
Shopping Support Cost of Items
Transportation Price based on kilometers travelled
Adult Day Programs In-Home $24 / 2 hours minimum, additional hours $12
Home At Last (HAL) $0
Virtual Healthier Living Center, Social Gatherings, Facebook Group $0
Wellness Counselling $0
Assisted Living Services (ALS) n/a
Respite Care (in home/ person) $19.75 / hr
Personal Care $19.75 / hr
Homemaking $19.75 / hr
Laundry Service (pick up, wash & fold, and deliver back) $19.75 / Service
Pharmacy/ Medication delivery $0