Lumacare prides itself on having a commitment to the development and implementation of our older adult LGBT initiatives.
At Lumacare, we strive to create an inclusive environment in every aspect of our organization from our policies and procedures, to program delivery, and staff training.
We are consistently looking for ways to expand our services to ensure older adults in our community have the unique support they require.
On November 5-6, 2015, Lumacare presented a workshop on Lumacare’s Commitment to Caring for LGBT Seniors. The workshop took place in Washington, D.C, USA, at the fifth annual Aging & Society: Interdisciplinary Conference hosted by Catholic University of America in Washington D.C. To learn more about the conference, please click here.
Toronto Foundation: Vital Ideas Grant
Lumacare is a recipient of the Toronto Foundation’s Vital Ideas grant. Through this grant, our organization will continue to work towards achieving our vision for diversity and inclusiveness both within our organization and within the health and social services space for our clients, caregivers, and stakeholders.
We are currently working to support older adults in the LGBTQ+ community in the following ways:
- Developing processes and services that support the health and social care needs of LGBT seniors within Lumacare
- Building best practices through research for both internal and inter-agency knowledge sharing
- Training staff on how to better support LGBT seniors
- Supporting other agencies in moving to best practices for LGBT inclusiveness
- Developing an LGBT inclusiveness toolkit to be shared with other agencies