Personal Support Workers (PSWs) provide assistance with personal care and household management, along with temporary relief for caregivers so that they may attend to their own needs.
All of our PSWs have obtained a College Personal Support Worker Certificate working with elderly individuals with complex needs and completed field training.
PSWs are not able to administer or dispense medication, however they can remind you to take your medication.
- Assistance with personal care tasks (bathing, toileting, feeding, grooming, dressing, ambulation)
- Help with light housekeeping (Laundry, meal preparation, essential grocery shopping)
- Short term overnight stays are available
Our PSWs assist in the home with light housekeeping tasks. Services are provided for clients only and not for additional family members (e.g. laundry, ironing). There is a two-hour minimum for all homemaking service requests.
What We Do
- Dish washing
- Take out garbage
- Laundry & ironing
- Grocery shopping
- Meal preparation
- Bed making
- Clean mirrors
What We Don’t Do
- Snow removal
- Grass cutting
- Window washing
- Move heavy furniture
- Carpet cleaning
- Replace light bulbs
- Clean oven or remove burners
- Pet care
Personal Care involves assisting the client with his/her personal hygiene tasks to clean the teeth, mouth, skin, ear and perineal area.
What We Do
- Assisting clients with showers, tub and sponge baths
- Mouth care or denture care
- Washing & drying hair
- Perineal care including changing incontinent products
- Applying lotion to client’s skin
- Shaving clients using an electrical shaver
- Cleaning eye glasses
- Reminders to take medication
What We Don’t Do
- Cutting hair
- Cutting finger or toe nails
- Providing massages
- Cleaning ears using cotton swabs
- Removing or putting in contact lenses
- Removing dressing or medicated patches
- Administer or dispense medication
Respite care is the temporary care of a person who requires a high level of support, care and supervision that gives the caregiver a break from his/her care-giving duties. This can include:
- Escorting client to appointments
- Assistance with ambulation
- Grocery Shopping
- Overnight Care and many more duties!
Hours of Operation: 24 hours a day (including overnight)
While supervisors try to meet all requests for specific times and workers, schedules are determined by staff availability.
Cost: $18.65/hour. No HST!
Please note: There is a one-hour minimum for all Personal Care and Respite Care services requests. There is a two-hour minimum for all community Homemaking services requests.
Please Note: An in-home assessment may be required before service can be provided in this program.
For more information about our Home Support services, please contact our Client Services Department at (416) 398-5511.